Kalvenes Street Houses No. 34, 32, 30 and 21


No. 34, 32, 30 and 21 Kalvenes Street in the 1920s
No. 34, 32, 30 and 21 Kalvenes Street in the 1920s
No. 34, 32, 30 and 21 Kalvenes Street in 2014
No. 34, 32, 30 and 21 Kalvenes Street in 2014


At some point, the plots of land on which the first two houses on the left are located were one plot of land with one cadastral number. Today, the first is № 34. This plot of land was established in 1851, when the Aizpute Council sold this part of the plot of land together with its former wooden residential house to the tanner Johann Friedrich Maurer for 1,600 Rubles.

In 1854, Maurer sold it to the carpenter Carl Haase for 1,000 Silver Rubles, who had a stone house and barns here, which he sold to Abraham Michelsohn for 1,400 Rubles in 1863.

In 1873, Michelsohn's house was auctioned and bought by Abraham Apfelbaum for 789 Rubles, while Apfelbaum sold it to a brickmaker master Jeanot Jägermann for 960 Rubles in December 1877.

In 1880, Fricis Vīgriezis bought the brick living house and barns for 1,900 Rubles from Jägermann. In 1905, the property rights were secured by his son, the bricklayer Jānis Vīgriezis, who in 1934 reported that the street house was built in 1905, but it is possible that it was a reconstruction.

During the First World War there was Mārtiņš Ekmanis bakery, in 1916 also a colonial goods store.

Today, the former Vīgriezis House is a private property, where premises are rented for the needs of the store.


The corner house on Kalvenes and Upes (River) Streets is at № 32 Kalvenes Street. As mentioned above, until 1851 the plot was larger, because it also included № 34 Kalvenes street.

This large plot of land was created around 1800 and was bought by the barrel maker Johann Paul Rosenthal. It was built at least at the time of the census in 1811, when Johann Friedrich Pernitz, a merchant of the 3rd Guild, lived here with his family.

In 1832 it was bought by the couple of Joseph and Gitte Schlossbergs, but in 1842 it was bought by Ahron und Marianne Laping for 610 Rubles. That year they borrowed money twice to build a new house on their plot here. In 1846, the loan was already taken against the mortgage of the new house. In 1849, this property was bought from Laping by the Council for 1,400 Silver Rubles, which divided the plot of land in 1851 and sold the current № 32 Kalvenes Street to the potter master Johann Andreas Meike for 750 Rubles.

In 1872, the potter sold his property for 900 Rubles to his son Carl Meike, but in 1880 he bought it back from the son for the same amount.

In 1879, there was a workshop of the potter Johann Andreas Meike in his own house, where he worked with 3 apprentices, and also a store.

At the end of the 19th century, it was already the property of Meike's heirs, but the property rights of the heirs were secured only in 1909.

In 1914, Theodor Meike was confirmed as the sole heir, who sold the house to Gertrud Lindenberg for 4,000 Rubles in the same year, from whom Ida Rachel Glückmann bought it for 4,000 Lats in 1934.

Nowadays - unmanaged private property.


The address of the house on the second corner of Kalvenes and Upes (River) Streets is № 30 Kalvenes Street. In 1865, this plot of land was bought by Hirsch Krüger for 200 Rubles, who in 1879 had a grain store, a small items store and also a pub in his own house.

In 1927, the property rights to the property of the deceased Hirsch and Lina-Leja Krüger were confirmed to Elke, Hirsch's daughter, Bergmann, born Krüger, as well as to the children of the deceased Etela Krüger. In the 1930s, Samuel (Schmuel) Bergmann’s grocery store was here.

Nowadays - a municipal residential house.


The one-storey wooden house on the right side of the photo is on № 21 Kalvenes Street. In 1837, this plot of land was separated from the land of the miller Radsewsky and sold for 140 Rubles to the carpenter Christian Schultz. In February 1861, the undeveloped plot of land was bought for 280 Silver Rubles from the carpenter Schultz by the saddler Jākobs Treilands (Treuland) - the father of Fricis Brīvzemnieks and built the house shown in the photo, where Brīvzemnieks also lived for a short time, then - Fricis Treilands.

In 1879, the bricklayer Friedrich Tilhard's workshop was here.

In the 1990s and the beginning of the 20th century, Wilhelmine Treuland's private school was in this house.

In January 1907, this house was bought from the heirs of the deceased Treiland for 4,700 Rubles by Jēkabs Vinklers (1850-1921), a natural scientist who graduated from the Faculty of Mathematics of Moscow University. After Vinklers's death in 1921, the house was inherited by his widow Karolina Vinklers, born Nelepa, and from her in 1922 by Jēkabs Vinklers's niece Marija Lūcija Roševica. On January 18, 1929, Roševica rented 4 rooms and a kitchen for the kindergarten of the Aizpute Branch of the Latvian Children's Friends Association.

The house belonged to Roševica until its nationalization in 1940.

Nowadays - a municipal residential house.





Valsts Kultūrkapitāla fonds


Skolas iela 1, Aizpute, Aizputes novads, LV-3456
Phone Phone: 29623284
e-mail e-mail: 
Web Website:

irk1 Wheelchair access available


From 01.10. - 30.04. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 10:00 - 14:00
From 01.05. - 30.09. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
Saturdays from 10:00 - 14:00