Kalvenes Street Houses No. 15, 17, 19, 22 and 24


No. 15.,17.,19.,22 and 24 Kalvenes Street around 1930
No. 15.,17.,19.,22 and 24 Kalvenes Street around 1930
No. 15.,17.,19.,22 and 24 Kalvenes Street in 2014
No. 15.,17.,19.,22 and 24 Kalvenes Street in 2014


On the left, the first house is on № 15 Kalvenes Street. It is located on a plot of land that was once separated from № 13 Kalvenes Street. In 1898, Jakob Jude bought from Schanno Friedrichsohn for 2,400 Rubles with some buildings on. In 1934, it was used and managed as a co-heir by the son of the owner, who died in 1919, Schlom (Schlaum, Jeannot, Schanno) Jude, who lived here with his wife until the autumn of 1941.

In 1911, W. Schenk and A. Zaļkalns brewery was located in the house of Jude.

At least from 1921 until nationalization, there was a tavern of Jude here, but at the Council meeting on September 25, 1925, “no one raises any objections to the permission of Dollinger to continue his brewery on Boju Street next year as well”.

Nowadays - a municipal residential house.


The next house is at № 17 Kalvenes Street.

This plot of land was established in 1835 on the land owned by the miller Radsewsky and sold to the blacksmith Ernst Schmidtchen for 100 Rubles. It is known that in 1844 there was a house of Schmidtchen here, against which he borrowed money for the construction of a barn. In 1846 it was inherited by the widow Amalia Schmidtchen. In 1851, Amalia Schmidtchen and her husband Otto Batchen were mentioned as owners. Batchen died, and in 1870 Amalia married a third time, this time to the miller master Christoph Konrad Wilcke. Amalia died in 1885 at the age of 85, and her house was inherited by Wilcke, who in the same year leased his inheritance to Mahle Roloff, a Jew, who inherited it after Christoph Wilcke's death and sold it to Schlaume Taube and Scheine Pese Taube born Roloff in 1908 for 1,500 Rubles.

Nowadays - a municipal residential house.


The next residential building is at № 19 Kalvenes Street.

The plot of land was separated in 1835 from the land owned by the miller Radsewsky. We do not know the first buyer who bought it for 100 Rubles in 1835. In 1837 it was bought for 450 Rubles by the widow Hanna Kunder, in 1840 for 370 Rubles by Dorothea Schönbrunn, in 1844 for 480 Rubles by the mason Johann Thielhardt, in 1850 for 400 Rubles by Benjamin Fiedler. 5 different owners in 15 years! Only after 1852, when this property was bought by carpenter Ludwig Ehlert for 400 Rubles, it became the property of one family for almost 60 years.

In 1863, Ludwig Ehlert had a small house here, which was inherited in 1871 by his son Herrmann Ehlert. The next information found relates to 1903, when this property was inherited by 7 Ehlerts from Karl Ludwig (Louis). In 1910, property rights were secured to Alice Wilhelmine Maria Pernitz, born Ehlert, who immediately sold it to Friedrich Bennson. In 1913, Bennson gave the property as a gift to the merchant and Councilor Theodor Albert Nikolai Tiede.

Tiede wrote in 1924 that in 1913, when he acquired this plot of land, it was undeveloped. A new house is registered in the list of houses in Aizpute in 1915.

In 1922, 1/5 of the house was bought by Max Tiede, inherited by Lucia Tiede born Treugut in 1931.

In 1934 4/5 of the house of Teodor Tiede was inherited by his daughters Valija Strauta and Johanna Pron, in 1939 1/5 of Lucia Tiede - Elfrieda Natalia Agapitow born Treugut und Alfred Rudolf Treugut.

Nowadays - a municipal residential house.


On the right side, the first house is at 22 Kalvenes Street.

The first building was built here between 1797 and 1804. During the 1811 census, the house of Johanna Schumacher, Alterman's widow, was here, where she lived with her daughter Carolina. Friedrich Buiwid, a Zunft Master carpenter registered in Jēkabpils (Jakobstadt), and Prussian Johann Nikol, his apprentice registered in Grobiņa, also lived here.

In 1826, the owners were Carolina Nohrenberg, the daughter of Johanna Schumacher, who died, and Johann Christoph Nohrenberg, her husband. Both have borrowed 100 Silver Rubles against the pledge of their property from the treasurer of the Aizpute's Poor’s Fund, pastor Friedrich Wilhelm Bernhard Wolter (1787-1833).

In 1834, the owner was the district doctor’s assistant Carl Bamberg, who himself lived in his second property on № 11 Kalvenes Street. In 1833, he sold this property for 1,100 Rubles to the Supreme Court judge of Aizpute, the owner of the Krūte (Kruthe) and Ziemupe (Seemuppe) Manors, Baron Karl von Korff.

In 1852, this property was bought by potter Christian Friedrich Kramer for 2,000 Rubles. The Purchase and Sale Agreement states that the building is sold together with the sauna/country bath.

In 1862, the property was auctioned off and bought by Noah Asaroff for 1,520 Rubles, who in 1863 had 2 wooden houses with 24 inhabitants in 12 rooms.

In 1873, Asaroff sold his property to the shoemaker Carl Friedrich Rauh for 1,150 Rubles, but in 1881, together with Minna Asaroff, he got it back for 1,478 Rubles.

In 1879, Nikolai Rauh's shoemaker's workshop was in Carl Friedrich Rauh's house, but Asaroff had a colonial goods store in one of the two houses.

In 1908, the building and a plot of land on № 22 Kalvenes Street was bought by Friderika (Feige) Zusmanoviča at an auction, but in 1923 the property rights were secured to her heirs.

In the first half of the 1920s, M. Jakob's small items store was here.

In 1926, Žanis Bērziņš bought this property from Zusmanoviči for 3,400 Lats, and his wife Matilde Bērziņa had a grocery store here.

Due to outstanding mortgage debts, real estate of Bērziņš was auctioned in 1931. The owner became the Latvian Mortgage Bank, which paid 7,202 Lats for it. Vilis Rūdolfs Venšavs concluded a Purchase and Sale Agreement with the bank in 1932 for 7,000 Lats.

The Venšavs opened a grocery store in their house.

Nowadays - a municipal residential house.


The next house today is 24 Kalvenes Street, but before the Second World War the No 24 was for the backyard house. The photo showed № 26.

This plot of land was created in 1862 by separating an unbuilt garden plot from a plot of land at № 22 Kalvenes Street. It was bought by Andreas Lüdke for 290 Rubles and sold to Heinrich Kunstmann for 350 Rubles a year later. Hirsch Krüger got a piece of Kunstmann's garden for 200 Rubles in 1865, who built a house here. In December 1878, Hirsch Krüger was allowed to open a pub in his house on Boju Street.

In 1905, the land was bought by the spouses Jānis and Anna Cīruļi for 475 Rubles, who seem to have built a new house here, because in 1907, when this property was sold, they received 1,700 Rubles for it. The buyer was Mis Grieta Dzirkale, who in 1914 was already Mrs. Grieta Šēnberga, who had a dressmaker's workshop here for many years. It is worth noting an advertisement placed in the newspaper “Aizputes Vēstnesis” (Messanger of Aizpute) on October 17, 1926.


I accept orders for the latest fashion for women and children.
I also prepare pleated works according to the latest technology.
Apprentices can apply.
I have special training in drawing patterns, in the tailoring and cutting art.
Quality and beauty of work guaranteed through many years of practice.
Graduate of the Berlin Academy
G. Šēnberga”

In 1939, a "graduate of the Berlin Academy" sold her property to her husband Fricis Šēnbergs for 4,000 Lats.





Valsts Kultūrkapitāla fonds


Skolas iela 1, Aizpute, Aizputes novads, LV-3456
Phone Phone: 29623284
e-mail e-mail: 
Web Website:

irk1 Wheelchair access available


From 01.10. - 30.04. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 10:00 - 14:00
From 01.05. - 30.09. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
Saturdays from 10:00 - 14:00