Kalvenes Street House No. 13


№ 13 Kalvenes Street at the beginning of the 20th century
№ 13 Kalvenes Street at the beginning of the 20th century
№ 13 Kalvenes Street in 2014
№ 13 Kalvenes Street in 2014


In 1824, the plot of land belonged to Johann Friedrich Pernitz, but in 1828 it was bought at auction for 1,001 Rubles by the Zunft Master miller Carl Ludwig Radsewsky. The purchase price indicates that the plot of land was built on. In 1836 it was sold to a buyer unknown to us for 800 Rubles, but in 1839 it was bought for 455 Rubles by Johann Ferdinand Bomowsky, an employee of the Registry of Aizpute Town Court.

The following information relates to 1850, when Bomowsky sold the house, backyard buildings for 1,425 Rubles to Baroness Wilhelmine von Hahn, who sold it all in 1860 for 2,000 Rubles to the mason master Theodor Gildener.

From Gildener, this property was bought by the Hamburg-born and educated gardener Friedrich Henning in 1864, who rebuilt the house in 1876 and sold it to his son Adolf Henning for 18,000 Rubles in 1880. The son died a month later and the property was inherited by the father.

In 1901, the property rights were secured for the daughters of Friedrich Henning, who died in 1900, Ernestine Pauline Charlotte Kirschstein and Emilia Gottliebe Wilhelmine Baumann, from whom the house shown in the postcard on the corner of the then Boju Street and Kalašu crossroads was bought by doctor Adolf son of Ansis Sedding. Dr. Sedding (1856-1949) was the son of Latvian Ansis Zediņš. All Latvians just called him “Zediņš” (the Latvian word “zediņš” means, in diminutive form, a piece of wood, twigs, for making fence).

It should be explained that the crossroads that connected Jelgavas Street with the current Kalvenes Street and got the name of Ziedu (Flower) Street on September 25, 1925, got its first official name - Kalashu Crossroads, also Kalashu and Kaloshi Streets, because it was often so muddy and dark during the day, also unlit, that it was possible to move around it only by putting a kalash (galosh – rubber shoes) over the shoes, and quite a few pedestrians lost them here in the mud.

On September 8, 1919, the Aizpute Town Construction Commission “found that Kaloshu and Upes (River) Streets were not paved at all. .. When measuring it, turned out that Kalosh Street is 338 feet long and 16 feet wide.”

At the meeting of the Town Council on October 26, 1923, the Board reported that “in their own decision, for walkers they have ordered to cover the paths of Kalēju (Smith), Kalošas and the so-called Pigs (now Kurzemes Street) with gravel”.

The year of construction of the beautiful house is unknown. As Dr. A. Sedding himself confirmed in 1933 with his signature, he bought this property in 1903 from Kirschstein and Baumann for 3,000 Rubles. He does not know when the house was built and when its Construction Plan was approved. In 1903, it was rebuilt and at the same address there was a wooden house with a tiled roof - and a two-room apartment for a janitor. It is possible that the house shown in the postcard is the same as it was after the reconstruction in 1876.

Today - the residential house rebuilt in the 21st century by Dr. Sedding's heirs.





Valsts Kultūrkapitāla fonds


Skolas iela 1, Aizpute, Aizputes novads, LV-3456
Phone Phone: 29623284
e-mail e-mail: 
Web Website:

irk1 Wheelchair access available


From 01.10. - 30.04. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 10:00 - 14:00
From 01.05. - 30.09. on working days from 09:00 - 17:00,
Saturdays from 10:00 - 14:00